• Step one: Choose a health problem that you may commonly see as a Family Nurse Practitioner. Describe the
health problem and recommended medical management based on published clinical practice guidelines and
evaluate the guideline based on the following components.
• Step two: Identify a health care problem. Briefly describe the health problem you have identified. Include a
discussion of morbidity, mortality, epidemiology and pathophysiology related to this health problem.
• Step three: Research a national clinical guideline for your chosen health care problem. Describe the clinical
practice guideline used for this problem. Expand on your answer using support from evidence. Reflect on the
o Does the clinical practice guideline adequately address the health problem? Describe.
o Is this practice guideline based on current evidence (within 5 years)? What is the strength of this
o Does this clinical practice guideline adequately direct the health care provider in the
management of a patient with this problem?
o How effective is this clinical guideline in the management of patients with this healthcare problem?
Think about how you would assess the effectiveness of patient management.
• Step four: Analyze and Evaluate the national guideline. Think about future health care needs of patients with
this problem, changing demographics, and changes in health care policies. Reflect on the questions included:
o Does this clinical practice guideline need revision(s)? Please explain your answer in detail.
o If you were going to revise this clinical practice guideline, what would you change? What evidence
would you use to base your changes on?
o How might changes in US demographics and healthcare reform affect this clinical practice guideline?
o What strategies would you use to increase the likelihood that a new or modified clinical practice
guideline would be adopted and used in clinical practice?
o How would you determine its effectiveness of this revised clinical practice guideline in directing care
for patients with the identified health problem? Outline the steps you might employ.
• Step five: Identify five learning points that describe key take-aways from your review of the clinical practice