A research critique demonstrates your ability to critically read an investigative study. For this assignment, choose a research article related to nursing.
- Articles used for this assignment cannot be used for the other assignments (students should find new research articles for each new assignment).
- The selected articles should be original research articles. Review articles, concept analysis, meta-analysis, meta-synthesis, integrative review, and systemic review should not be used.
- Mixed-methods studies should not be used.
- Dissertations should not be used.
Your critique should include the following:
- State the problem clearly as it is presented in the report.
- Have the investigators placed the study problem within the context of existing knowledge?
- Will the study solve a problem relevant to nursing?
- State the purpose of the research.
Review of the Literature
- Identify the concepts explored in the literature review.
- Were the references current? If not, what do you think the reasons are?
- Was there evidence of reflexivity in the design (qualitative)?
- Are the theoretical concepts defined and related to the research?
- Does the research draw solely on nursing theory or does it draw on theory from other disciplines?
- Is a theoretical framework stated in this research piece?
- If not, suggest one that might be suitable for the study.
- What are the independent and dependent variables in this study?
- Are the operational definitions of the variables given? If so, are they concrete and measurable?
- Is the research question or the hypothesis stated? What is it?
Conceptual Underpinnings, Research Questions (Qualitative)
- Are key concepts defined conceptually?
- Is the philoosoophical basis, underlying tradition, conoceptual framework, or ideological orientation made explicit and is it appropriate for the problem?
- Are research questions explicitly stated? Are the questions consistent with the study’s philosophical basis, underlying tradition, conceptual framework, or ideological orientation?
- What type of design (quantitative, qualitative, and type) was used in this study?
- Was inductive or deductive reasoning used in this study?
- State the sample size and study population, sampling method, and study setting.
- Did the investigator choose a probability or non-probability sample?
- State the type of reliability and the validity of the measurement tools (quantitative only)
Qualitative studies (answer the following questions in addition to those above except the last bulleted item)
- Were the methods of gathering data appropriate?
- Were data gathered through two or more methods to achieve triangulation?
- Did the researcher ask the right questions or make the right observations and were they recorded in an appropriate fashion?
- Was a sufficient amount of data gathered?
- Was the data of sufficient depth and richness?
Were ethical considerations addressed? Were appropriate procedures used to safeguard the rights of study participants?
- What data analysis tool was used?
- Was saturation achieved? (qualitative)
- How were the results presented in the study?
- Were the data management (e.g., coding) and data analysis methods sufficiently described? (qualitative)
- Identify at least one (1) finding.
Summary/Conclusions, Implications, and Recommendations
- Do the themes adequately capture the meaning of the data?
- Did the analysis yield an insightful, provocative and meaningful picture of the phenomenon under investigation?
- Were methods used to enhance the trustworthiness of the data (and analysis) and was the description of those methods adequate?
- Are there clear explanation of the boundaries/limitations, thick description, audit trail?
- What are the strengths and limitations of the study?
- In terms of the findings, can the researcher generalize to other populations? Explain.
- Evaluate the findings and conclusions as to their significance for nursing (both qualitative and quantitative).
The body of your critique should be 46 double-spaced pages plus a cover page and a reference page. The critique must be attached to the article and follow APA guidelines.
You must submit the research study articles along with your assignment.